- This does not include unit tests (as
xdg-user-dirsdid not include them, either), but it basically seems to work.
- I've made this a separate merge request from !12 because one doesn't depend on the other.
- it's directly based on an existing XDG implementation also hosted on this Gitlab,
- it's been an open Issue for over a decade, and
- this repository is in some sense "official", being in the
xdggroup on the Freedesktop Gitlab, rather than on your personal GitHub account,
...so it seems a bit... problematic to shut down major updates.
FWIW a more "open" approach might be to host the Python reference implementations of the various XDG standards individually alongside the C reference implementations where they exist. (Alternately, some of the implementations could probably be incorporated upstream into the Python standard library.)
Personally I would just rather not have to reinvent the wheel when trying to follow XDG standards, and being able to import reference implementations from a standard library of some sort seems more robust than copying and pasting code.