Shared library version numbering
(This is just a proposal for improvement, not a bug report.)
- Using FreeBSD
- Updating ports via portmaster
- The maintainer of poppler on FreeBSD bumps local release numbers of dependent ports whenever poppler's major shared library version number changes
- Whenever a new version of poppler comes out its major shared library version changes
- Big dependent ports (libreoffice, calligra) need to be recompiled because of this
- This happens rather frequently
- The major shared library number of poppler should only be changed if there is a potential incompatibility (cf https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-shlibs/index.html).
- If incompatibilities are introduced they should be concentrated in a dedicated release (not piecemeal).
To upload designs, you'll need to enable LFS and have an admin enable hashed storage. More information