Suggestion: auto-generate one profile that exposes all available audio ports on the device
Suggestion: auto-generate one profile that exposes all available audio ports on the device. For instance, make the headphone jack and the HDMI outputs available simultaneously.
- PipeWire version (
pipewire --version): 0.3.83
- Distribution and distribution version (
/etc/os-release): Manjaro Linux
- Desktop Environment: KDE Plasma 5.27
- Kernel version (
uname -r): 6.1.60-1-MANJARO
Description of Problem:
The default behavior of ACP auto-profiles is to auto-generate many profiles “by combining every input mapping with every output mapping”. This has many problems:
- Too many profiles, at least half of them are not useful to the end-user.
- Profiles with similar-looking and confusing names.
- Impossible to play audio to multiple outputs simultaneously.
- Inconsistent UI/UX when compared to changing the default device to a Bluetooth or USB device.
- Overall poor UX.
I wrote a very comprehensive blog post about this issue (from the end-user point-of-view), including screenshots. Please read it if you want more details and more reasons. (I'm not promoting my blog, I have no ads in there and no tracking. I'm only linking it here because I think it is relevant.)
Update the auto-profiles logic to generate ONE single profile with all the available inputs and outputs combined.
For backwards compatibility with existing software and users, the traditional n × m profiles can still be generated, but they could have a lower priority. Eventually, they could even go away completely (leaving only the ONE profile together with the Pro Audio profile).
For the few end-users that are curious enough to spend a lot of time finding a solution, it is possible to create a custom ACP profile that enables all sources and sinks simultaneously. The actual steps are beyond the scope of this issue report, and are listed in my blog post. Still, I believe most end-users don't even know that a solution is possible.
Possibly related issues
- #1978 Names of devices connected through HDMI/DP are confusing
- #2067 Node names and description don't indicate HDMI profiles very well on Lenovo Thinkpad P14s Gens AMD
- #2522 Getting sound from Intel Alt Analog
- #2951 HDMI/DP output not available by default and mutually exclusive with laptop speakers
- #3408 Separate HDMI/DP outputs at video card
- #3491 HDMI sinks not detected, but aplay lists them