Vulkan broken on amdgpu with mesa 20.1.0
- OS: Arch Linux
- GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 5700XT
- Kernel version: 5.6.15
- Mesa version: 20.1.0-3
- Xserver version (if applicable): Using Wayland/XWayland, 1.20.8
- Desktop manager and compositor: Gnome
- Driver: RADV
The issue shows both in Wine and in Linux native games (e.g. Dota 2).
Describe the issue
- Start a game with Vulkan backend (tried linux native Dota 2 with Vulkan DLC and start option and Divinity Original Sin 2 with Lutris over Wine+DXVK).
- The game loads, the mouse gets "themed" but the screen stays pitch black without sound.
The expected result is to get visuals and sounds from the game.
- Absolutely nothing specific gets written in dmesg, the logs or the terminal when ran from there.
- CPU usage gets mildly high on 1 core until the program gets manually SIGKILLed.
- The program is stuck there: nothing changed after an hour of letting it run; SIGTERM cannot terminate it, have to use SIGKILL.
- The OpenGL backend works: Dota runs on OpenGL with exactly the same configuration (literally just flipping the switch from '-vulkan' to '-gl').
- I deleted all the shader cache I could find prior to starting the games, to no avail.
There is no hard crash: no segfault, no core dump, backtrace, no warning, nothing... it's a soft crash that looks awfully like getting stuck in an infinite loop somewhere.
The issue does not exist in 20.0.3: I tried multiple back-and-forth, getting back to that previous version fixes it.
Log files as attachment
Again, it is a soft crash, like stuck in an infinite loop: there is nothing in dmesg or journalctl, there is no backtrace, it is just that games ran with vulkan backend get stuck on a black screen, without sound or any way to interact with it.