Hard lockup with radeonsi driver on FirePro W600, W9000 and W9100
Submitted by Julien Isorce
Assigned to Default DRI bug account
Created attachment 130563
The machine completely freeze using radeonsi driver with FirePro W600, W9000 and W9100.
- Steps to reproduce:
DISPLAY=:0 ./GpuTest /test=fur /fullscreen
* Acutal result:
System and screen are frozen after a few minutes (sometimes a few seconds, sometimes 20 min). No mouse/keyboard. Does not respond to ping. No kernel panic. Requires hard reboot.
After reboot, no error in /var/log/kern.log. Empty dir /var/crash, empty dir /sys/fs/pstore. Sometimes some nul characters ^@ just before the next "Linux version".
Using a serial console does not show additional debug messages.
* Expected result:
No system freeze.
* List of things that have been tried but leading to the same result:
- kernel 4.4.X, 4.8.x packaged by ubuntu.
- amd-staging-4.9 from https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux.
- a few 4.10 kernels from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ .
- radeon.dpm=1 (all values for power_dpm_state / power_dpm_force_performance_level)
- radeon.dpm=0 (power_mode=profile and all values for power_profile)
- radeon.msi=1 / 0.
- DRI2 / DRI3
- glamor / no accel, TearFree on / off
- single monitor, multi monitor, resolutions 1600x1200, 1920x1080.
- Latest libdrm / mesa. llvm 3.8, 4 and 5.
* List of things that avoids the system freeze:
- radeon.gartsize=512 radeon.vramlimit=1024
- apitrace trace then replay does not lead to the freeze.
- No errors with R600_DEBUG=* or MESA_DEBUG.
- strace sometimes shows that the last call is ioctl(RADEON_CS) but not sure how reliable this is provinding the last print might not be flush.
- Happens with 2 differents brand for the mother board.
- takes a bit longer for the mentioned GpuTest to freeze the machine on W9000 and W9100.
- Try again kgdb.
- Try amdgpu instead of radeonsi.
**Attachment 130563**, "dmesg":