Graphical freeze when browsing: "No more free UVD handles!"
Brief summary of the problem:
When browsing using firefox I've encountered system freezes when having several youtube tabs open or scrolling down on imgur.com so I think it's related to hardware acceleration or decoding.
What happens is the graphical interface freezes and I can't interact with anything, I also can't switch to TTY but the mouse cursor itself still works. Magic key combo still works when the freeze happens.
- CPU: ryzen 5600g
- GPU: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller : Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tonga XT / Amethyst XT [Radeon R9 380X / R9 M295X] [1002:6938] (rev f1)
- System Memory: 64GB of ram ddr4
- Display(s): 1680 x 1050 @ 60Hz
- Type of Display Connection: DVI (using a DVI to VGA adapter)
- Distro name and Version: Arch linux
- Kernel version: 6.1.2.arch1-1 (but also happens at least on 6, and possibly on older versions as well)
How to reproduce the issue:
This issue happens in both firefox nightly and stable when hardware video decoding is enabled. Nightly has it on by default, but stable doesn't (it can be checked by visiting about:support). So in the case of firefox stable, I have to go to about:config and change media.hardware-video-decoding.enabled to true to force enable hardware video decoing.
Easiest way to reproduce the issue is scrolling down on imgur.com for several seconds, it usually freezes before a minute has passed.
Also, I don't know if it's relevant, but I have display code disabled as it doesn't support analog output for my card.
Log files (for system lockups / game freezes / crashes)
uvd_log.txt relevant log from journalctl