FR: grouping of windows
Hi. It will be very nice to have a way of grouping several windows together for simultaneous movement\scaling.
Use case: User has several windows (web browser /console sessions/text documents/source code) that are logically connected (same thread, same project, some research etc.). Switching to other task (new research, new project etc.) requires new set of windows to be brought to the foreground. If some windows are grouped together it is a meter of seconds to bring them up. Other wise each window has to be moved individually to free up visual space.
Possible implementation (UI):
- Draw a 3D cube "on top" of windows desired to be grouped
- Select several windows one by one and then create a group
- Move windows to predefined area in 3D scene and then create a group
Possible implementation (code): As I am not fully aware how you manage to create a group right now (the small panel floating in 3D) the only guess I can make is that we need to grab windows ID and pin them to some list. Than work with related coordinates to move all objects from the list together saving relaxations in terms of 3D dimensions).
Questions I can see for now:
- Do we have to move selected windows to some area in order to make them appear close to each other when grouping or leave them as is?
- Should we scale the windows that are grouped and organize them as grid or leave them as is?
- When the window is removed from the group should it stay at the same place or moved to some other location (away from the group)?
- Should we still display windows in a group or hide them replacing with some other info (like icon\pictogram or number of windows in the group/previews etc.)?
- How group should be visually identified?
- Should the user be able to name the group and where to display the naming?
- If the group member window has being closed\crashed etc. how this event should be handled\tracked?