Link between user settings and parental controls app is confusing, convoluted
Currently, the path to set up parental controls on a system with no users goes like:
- Open the parental controls app
- Click "create child user"
- Unlock the user settings
- Click "add user"
- Complete the add user dialog
- Click parental controls, to raise the parental controls app
- Click the Unlock button in the parental controls app
- Enable some settings
Obviously this is rather convoluted. A good first step would be to eliminate steps 1 & 2 by fixing #24 (closed).
However, I still find step 6 and 7 to be rather confusing. There are three aspects to this:
- When I tried it, I wasn't expecting to be taken out of the context of the Settings app. That's probably because those right arrows typically raise a dialog or slide to the right.
- It wasn't immediately obvious to me that the parental controls app had been raised (not helped by the non-overlapping position of the two windows).
- When the parental controls app is raised, it looks like below. There's nothing there to indicate that I'm on a path to enable parental controls or to confirm where I am in the process. It feels like an obstacle or something that has gone wrong, rather than enabling something.