Wrong encoding when filling out a PDF form
Submitted by Thomas Dreibholz
Assigned to poppler-bugs
Evince and Okular (based on poppler) uses the wrong encoding when filling out a PDF form.
How to reproduce:
- Get the official Chinese Visa Application Form from http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/visas/fd/W020130830801798289342.pdf
- Open it in Evince
- Fill in a name (e.g. "Smith"). The entered text is displayed correctly.
- Click into another filed
- The previously entered name is displayed in wrong characters (wrong encoding used?). E.g. "Smith" becomes "4NJUI".
- Saving and loading the PDF (with the entered text) also results in displaying wrong characters
- Clicking into the name filed results in displaying the correct name ("Smith")
=> It seems that somewhere in Evince (or libpoppler?) the wrong encoding is used for displaying non-active input fields.
Tested Ubuntu versions:
- Ubuntu 16.04
- Ubuntu 17.10