Opening some apps causes complete audio lock-ups, which are sometimes irrecoverable
I've been trying to get a Steinberg UR22C (192kHz/32-bit) audio interface to work with Pipewire; as the title says, when I attempt to open some apps, all audio on the system will pause, lock-up, etc...
Some apps that work just fine both on their own and playing audio in tandem are:
- Firefox on X11
- Firefox on XWayland
- Firefox on Wayland (I think, it was pretty buggy for me)
- Joplin (
- SMPlayer + mpv
As for the apps I've found to cause these issues:
- Telegram (
- OBS Studio (
These lock-ups are sometimes recoverable, but it requires a pause and restart of any existing & locked-up audio streams. Sometimes that doesn't work and only a restart - not even unplugging and re-plugging the audio interface - will return things to normal.
I've already taken some time to make sure there's no weirdness going on outside of the audio interface <-> Pipewire interactions. That includes using X11 instead of Wayland, making sure the audio interface works properly in Windows, fixing some device hangups that would happen on boot (that was likely just a separate Pipewire update than anything I did though).
Not sure what logs would be useful, here's some
journalctl -r output to get the ball rolling...
One for telegram-desktop (from current Arch/AUR build):
OBS-Studio (again, from current AUR/Arch build):
It seems like both logs have a common
set_hw_params issue, but I don't know what to make of that.