Recently I replaced pulseaudio with pipewire, and it works well! Thank you.
Here are a few things that I noticed that might be buggy or that might be worth considering:
Bluetooth: Even with a global sampling rate of 96kHz, and even though LDAC is being used with the hq option (
bluez5.a2dp.ldac.quality), a fixed sampling rate of 44.1kHz is used when playing audio (I confirmed this with pactl and my BT DAC screen reports said sampling rate). Is this a pipewire/libldac limitation?
This is more of a kernel issue (since it affects pulseaudio as well), but do you think it could be possible to get this fixed in pipewire instead? As of kernel 5.11 this bug still seems to be present. Here's more info.
This isn't a 'minor issue' but rather a question: Is there anything like pulseaudio's
avoid-resampling? This would be useful for bit-perfect playback, and for MQA users, since MQA-enabled DACs need bit-perfect playback in order to be able to decode the stream. This might also avoid unnecessary CPU load since the stream is just 'directly' passed to the sink.
Version, Distribution, Desktop Environment:
Version: pipewire 1:0.3.26-1 pipewire-media-session 1:0.3.26-1 pipewire-pulse 1:0.3.26-1 Distribution: Arch Linux / 5.11.16-zen1-1-zen DE: plasma-desktop 5.21.4-1
[BT issue] Steps to Reproduce:
- Change global sampling rate to 96KHz and set bluez5.a2dp.ldac.quality to hq, then restart pipewire services
- Play some music
Actual Results: LDAC playback at 44.1kHz, according to both pactl list sinks and my DAC's display
Expected Results: LDAC playback at 96kHz