mpeg4 through vdpau randomly either correct or garbled (on same file!)
Submitted by Adam Hirst
Assigned to Default DRI bug account
Created attachment 91790 mpv verbose log, when video decodes successfully
This is somewhat difficult to explain.
- AMD PALM E2-1800 APU
- Arch Linux x86_64
- Kernel 3.12.6-ck (also with vanilla 3.12.6)
- mesa 10.0.1, xf86-video-ati 7.2.0
One of the following three situations occurs, seemingly at random, when opening an mpeg4 video file using any player which supports vdpau hardware-decoding (e.g. mplayer r36498, VLC 2.1.2, mpv 0.3.2)
- The video decodes and plays just fine
- The video decodes incorrectly, with bright-green garbling, and general smearing
- The video decodes and plays fine, BUT with a couple of small artefacts either in the player window, or anywhere on the screen (the artefacts are little black squares, inside which are a few fluorescent-coloured pixels flickering)
The interesting point is that, on the same file, you can close and re-open the video player and receive a different random outcome each time. I'm in the habit of trying a few times to open my .avi videos until it "just works".
This is not the same as the mpeg4 ASP garbling issue which I reported a month or so ago, which was 100% consistent on the affected files. For this bug, the files which display this problem are 'normal' mpeg4 videos, and whether or not decoding succeeds appears to be completely random.
Frustratingly, neither the video player's verbose logs, nor the DPM messages in dmesg, indicate anything at all different between successful and unsuccessful attempts.
I'll upload to this report a couple of log files, including the outputs of ffmpeg -i on a selection of affected files.
I'll also upload some video samples, bear with me.
Attachment 91790, "mpv verbose log, when video decodes successfully":