[ivb blorp?] GPU hang in witcher.EXE
Submitted by Tim Allen
Assigned to Ian Romanick
Created attachment 117869 Contents of /sys/class/drm/card0/error as requested
I wish I had some easy way to reproduce this with some widely-available software, but I'm not sure what would count.
- I'm trying to play The Witcher Enhanced Edition
- Running under Wine 1.7.49
- Mesa 10.6.3
- Xorg 2.99.917
- Linux 4.1.0
- Debian Testing
- Intel Ivy Bridge i5-3570K CPU, with HD4000 graphics
Steps to reproduce (on my machine):
- Start the game
- Load my usual saved game
- Sometimes, once the initial loading screen's progress bar gets to the 99% mark, the hard-drive light stops flickering and the progress will pause for 10 seconds or so and then crash to desktop
- Sometimes the game loads properly, but later I'll be moving from one zone to another and that loading screen will pause and crash.
- Generally, I can't play the game for more than 5-10 minutes before a crash occurs.
- This same problem also occurs with another game called Path of Exile, in a similar fashion: every loading screen has some percentage chance to pause and crash.
When I start the game from a terminal, after a crash it displays the following message:
intel_do_flush_locked failed: Input/output error
/var/log/messages receives this message:
[ 807.367059] [drm] stuck on render ring [ 807.367363] [drm] GPU HANG: ecode 7:0:0x85fffff8, in witcher.EXE , reason: Ring hung, action: reset [ 807.367364] [drm] GPU hangs can indicate a bug anywhere in the entire gfx stack, including userspace. [ 807.367364] [drm] Please file a new bug report on bugs.freedesktop.org against DRI -> DRM/Intel [ 807.367365] [drm] drm/i915 developers can then reassign to the right component if it's not a kernel issue. [ 807.367365] [drm] The gpu crash dump is required to analyze gpu hangs, so please always attach it. [ 807.367366] [drm] GPU crash dump saved to /sys/class/drm/card0/error [ 807.369412] drm/i915: Resetting chip after gpu hang [ 813.363894] [drm] stuck on render ring [ 813.364243] [drm] GPU HANG: ecode 7:0:0x85ffbff8, in witcher.EXE , reason: Ring hung, action: reset [ 813.366337] drm/i915: Resetting chip after gpu hang
- If I restart the game and try again, it'll crash again (usually faster), and after a few iterations eventually the console stops responding to anything but the Alt-SysRq keys (although I can SSH in from another computer and everything seems to be running fine) and I have to reboot.
Because I'm using Debian Testing, it's a bit difficult to say when this started. My recollection is that everything worked fine under Mesa 10.4, but these errors started appearing after Debian upgraded to Mesa 10.5. Of course, Debian was changing all kinds of stuff around that time, so it might have been anything.
Attachment 117869, "Contents of /sys/class/drm/card0/error as requested":