Plasma Wayland locks up immediately on sign in
Submitted by etn..@..il.org
Assigned to Nouveau Project
Created attachment 143094 dmesg immediately after lockup
Hello Nouveau devs:
I'm facing an issue where attempting to sign into a Wayland Plasma session causes the entire GUI to lock up immediately. Under some circumstances, I can still SSH into the unit, but i usually can't do much before even the SSH session locks up as well.
STEPS TO REPRODUCE
- Boot computer
- Sign in to Plasma (Wayland) at SDDM
OBSERVED RESULT Machine instantly locks up. Sometimes, I might be able to SSH in, but dmesg only prints a bunch of Nouveau FIFO engine fault errors
EXPECTED RESULT PLasma Wayland session starts normally.
SOFTWARE/OS VERSIONS Linux/KDE Plasma: OpenSUSE Leap 15.0 (available in About System) KDE Plasma Version: 5.12
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION I have done the following as well:
- Upgrade the default OpenSUSE kernel to a vanilla 4.18 kernel from kernel.org. Lockup still occurs upon sign in
- Upgrade the default
- Tested a Wayland session with Gnome successfully
- Upgraded Plasma to 5.14 with the repo recommended by OpenSUSE here and lockup still occurs
- Booted with nouveau.noaccel=1 and Plasma Wayland successfully loads but with terrible performance
This issue was reported to the Plasma bug tracker and they closed it on the grounds that anything which causes a system lockup is operates much lower than the DE and should thus be filed with Nouveau.
Attached dmesg and session logs.
Attachment 143094, "dmesg immediately after lockup":