[NVA5] The Long Dark (game) is very slow because of "kernel rejected pushbuf" messages in log files
Submitted by Alexander Schlarb
Assigned to Nouveau Project
Created attachment 120358 First "kernel rejected pushbuf" error in log file
Kernel: Linux 4.3 (snapshot from 2015-11-04) Mesa: 11.0.2 nouveau X11 driver: 1.0.11 Platform: Sony VPCF12S1E with NVidiaGT216M (GForce GT 330M) System: Debian testing based
Starting the game works fine (although it is somewhat slower than with NVidia's driver), but once you launch the actual game Unity starts logging up to 1GB/min worth of "kernel rejected pushbuf" logs into the "~/.config/unity3d/Hinterland/The Long Dark/Player.log" log file. Making that file (and it's containing directory) read-only I could verify that the game runs at acceptable frame rates and without noticeable glitches most of the time. Sometimes however, some textures disappear and it hangs for several seconds before resuming.
Steps to reproduce:
- Purchase and download "The Long Dark" from Steam
- Navigate to "~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/TheLongDark" (on the console or a file browser)
- Launch the "tld.x86_64" file
- Press any key to move past the disclaimer screen
- Select "Sandbox" from the main menu
- Start a "New" game or "Continue" a previous survival trip
- Wait for the actual game to load
- Observe extreme slowness while the disk I/O is a 100%
"Step 8" does not happen with NVidia binary drivers and the game is quite playable.
See "Player.log.head" for first "kernel rejected pushbuf" error.
dmesg message is:
nouveau 0000:01:00.0: tld.x86_64: nv50cal_space: -16
If you tell me what to do for debugging this, I'll definitely help as much as I can in fixing this issue! (Including kernel patches, traces, etc.)
- I'm willing to donate a copy of the game to one established Nouveau contributor
- The game cannot be launched from Steam when using recent versions of Open source drivers due to https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-runtime/issues/34
- Due to the game being alpha right now the "Story"-mode has not been released yet – this shouldn't matter however
Attachment 120358, "First "kernel rejected pushbuf" error in log file":