Adding MIDI playback into GStreamer
Submitted by George Yunaev
I have just pushed the portable MIDI sequencer based on Sonivox library - the one used on Android. Unlike the rest of supported MIDI sequencers, this one:
- has built-in wavetable, so can render MIDI without any patches, soundfonts etc with good quality;
- is a relatively small (300Kb);
- Is used in Android, so it is supported (and I am using it in my karaokeplayer project so I intend to support it anyway);
- Builds on and works on Win/Lin/Mac
- Licensed under Apache license, so can be included into -good.
So this could be used to have built-in MIDI support in GStreamer everywhere by default without requiring external software and data files such as patches/soundfonts.
It is available here: http://github.com/gyunaev/libsonivox - there is also a test example which takes MIDI file as argument, and writes down WAV.
Unfortunately I know nothing yet about GStreamer plugins, and how "parsemidi" interacts with MIDI sequencers, so I can't create a plugin out of it. Is anyone interested?