Fails to resume from s2idle on Elitebook 845 G8
Brief summary of the problem:
When I suspend my HP Elitebook 845 G8 (using s2idle, HP does not offer S3 sleep), either it does not really go to sleep but wakes up again immediately, or if it successfully suspends, it fails to resume correctly: when I press a key, the fan starts making noise, the keyboard backlight lights up, but the screen remains blank. I cannot ssh into the machine and I have to do a hard reset .
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U with Radeon Graphics
- GPU: 04:00.0 VGA compatible controller : Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cezanne [1002:1638] (rev d1)
- System Memory: 16 GB
- Distro name and Version: Debian bookworm/sid
- uname -a: Linux rimini 5.17.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Debian 5.17.3-1 (2022-04-18) x86_64 GNU/Linux
How to reproduce the issue:
# systemctl suspend
- kernel.log The kernel.log contains the full kernel logs from boot up to a first attempt to suspend (around 20:19), which results in the system waking up immediately, and a second attempt (around 20:23) which suspends the system, but then fails to resume (blank screen, no network)
- I'm using the latest BIOS (T82 Ver. 01.08.20 (20220313): https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-elitebook-845-g8-notebook-pc/38492638/swItemId/ob-286987-1
- I manually loaded the module amd-pmc because I understand this is needed for s2idle. Should not it be loaded automatically?
- I updated all firmware in /lib/firmware to latest git linux-firmware as of today
- Hibernating works usually fine on this system, however occasionally it also wakes up immediately after hibernating.