AMDGPU - Monitor has two preferred modes for refresh rate
Brief summary of the problem:
My monitor's EDID is reporting is has two preferred refresh rates for the same resolution. This is causing some issues with EDID parsers in selecting the "correct" refresh rate to set. My monitors native refresh rate is 165hz for 2560x1440, but amdgpu is reporting it has a secondary preferred mode of 60hz for 2560x1440 with drm_info and xrandr.
- CPU: Intel 10850K
- GPU: AMD 6900XT
- System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200
- Display(s): HP Omen 27i
- Type of Diplay Connection: DisplayPort
- Distro name and Version: Arch Linux
- Kernel version: 5.11.10-arch1-1
- Custom kernel: early KMS enabled with amdgpu added to modules section in mkinitcpio.conf
- AMD package version: using mesa 21.0.0
How to reproduce the issue:
It depends on the parsers in which one selects the one preferred over the other. Xorg is able to pick the 165hz preferred, while others like Mutter pick the 60hz preferred mode by default.
While other things, like my motherboards bios, is defaulting to 165hz. Same goes with a TTY screen with no display server running. I'm able to verify this as my monitor has a real time refresh rate OSD.